Chad Skelton reports: A tax collector in B.C. used the Canada Revenue Agency’s computers to look up the private tax files of hundreds of high-income individuals, apparently in the hopes of hitting them up for a business she ran on the side, according to internal government documents. The CRA’s internal investigation report, obtained by the…
Category: Non-U.S.
UK: Tesco Bank fraud risk after data lost in post
Ed Monk reports: Tesco Bank has lost the personal details of dozens of customers, leaving them exposed to the risk of fraud, after staff sent unprotected personal data in the post. It is thought the customers affected were already in angry dispute with Tesco Bank over charges for controversial payment protection insurance on Tesco credit…
15 released pending trial in massive ID theft in Turkey
Fifteen people charged with selling computer programs offering illegally acquired identity information on nearly the country’s entire population were released Wednesday pending trial in Istanbul. Police announced Tuesday the cracking of the ring that had been stealing Turks’ identity information, including their names, addresses and telephone numbers. […] The Hürriyet reporter wrote that had he…
AU: Personal data ‘left open to frauds’
Richard Willingham reports: The security of personal information held by the state government is inadequate, leaving it at a heightened risk of being stolen and misused by frauds, a report has found. An Auditor-General’s report into government departments, released yesterday, said access to confidential personal data was too widespread and increased the risk of identity…
Botnet mastermind who infected 12m PCs nabbed : FBI
International authorities have arrested a computer hacker believed responsible for creating the malicious computer code that infected as many as 12 million computers, invading major banks and corporations around the world, FBI officials said A 23-year-old Slovenian known as Iserdo was snagged in Maribor, Slovenia, after a lengthy investigation by Slovenian Criminal Police there along…
(follow-up) AU: Alleged hacker pleads guilty to data theft
ABC News in Australia reports: An alleged computer hacker has confirmed guilty pleas to charges of theft of personal information. South Australian police alleged Anthony Scott Harrison, 21, infected more than 3,000 computers worldwide with software designed to capture bank and credit card details and had potential to infect up to 74,000 computers. Harrison has…