Angus Dalton reports: Almost 13 million Australians had personal and health-related data stolen in the MediSecure cyberattack earlier this year, making the mass hack one of the largest ever. The Melbourne-based online prescription service company announced it was the victim of a ransomware data breach in May. A week later, a hacker claiming to possess…
Category: Non-U.S.
London Borough of Hackney reprimanded following cyber-attack
From the Information Commissioner’s Office: We have issued the London Borough of Hackey with a reprimand following a cyber-attack in 2020 that led to hackers gaining access to and encrypting 440,000 files, affecting at least 280,000 residents and other individuals including staff. In October 2020, hackers attacked the London Borough of Hackney (LBoH) systems –…
Au: Healthed data breach exposes personal details
Michelle Wisbey reports: The personal details of a large number of GPs have been published online, in a data breach leaving doctors feeling ‘significantly concerned’. Australian healthcare educator Healthed confirmed that late on Sunday, 14 July, the company became aware of ‘a vulnerability within the Healthed website’ It traced this to work undertaken by a…
Students’ Personal Data Mismanaged; Data Sent to Foreign Businesses, Used to Update Apps
The Yomiuri Shimbun reports: Local governments have authorized Recruit Co. — a provider of educational apps — to directly obtain public school students’ personal data and manage it, The Yomiuri Shimbun has learned. The problem is connected to devices, such as personal computers and tablets, which elementary and junior high schools distribute to their students….
IDF has fended off more than three billion cyberattacks since Oct. 7
All Israel News reports: The Israeli Defense Forces have been the target of more than three billion cyberattacks since Oct. 7, said Col. Racheli Dembinsky, commander of the IDF’s Center of Computing and Information Systems (Mamram), at the “IT for IDF” conference in Rishon Lezion on Wednesday. The attacks were all intercepted and no damage…
Indonesia says it has begun recovering data after major ransomware attack
The Straits Times reports: Indonesia said it is beginning to recover data that had been encrypted in a major ransomware attack in June which affected more than 160 government agencies. The attackers, identified as Brain Cipher, asked for US$8 million (S$10.7 million) in ransom to unlock the data, before they later apologised and released the decryption key…